Okay you little SHITS. If you’ve been keeping up with this series, you already know how to make your sockpuppets, keep track of them and take your hacker steroids and live a good IRL life. Now we’re going to use those sockpuppets for something useful – sockpuppeting! Yay!
A sockpuppet, again, is yourself masquerading with a different identity on the Internet. If done correctly, other regular users cannot tell that you are a different person. They will react to your words and actions as if you are a different person, granted that you don’t make it fucking obvious.
Basics of creating a sockpuppet:
- Pick a unique and different name, username and so on. Fill out your profile information with plausible information. You don’t want it to look like it has any ties with any accounts you may already have of notoriety on a given site.
- Make this account look lived in, and use a different style of discourse or rhetoric in case you are already a participant in this community. In some cases you may even have to echo the opinions of others to gain some credibility and fly under their radar. (More on that in a later article)
A troll who doesn’t give a fuck will make a satirical sockpuppet or one with a silly name and picture, making it obvious that this sockpuppet exists to mask his identity. This is a basic sockpuppet and merely gives you more opportunities to return and wreak havoc, and is very popular to use on Facebook among trolls. However, it is sloppy for making any points in an online discussion on a place like Facebook where it is an unwritten expectation that you are a real person using your real identity. People may just dismiss you or label you as TROLL, and while this may be the case, you may not want to make it obvious.
Real identities make your points more convincing, since it shows to the dork on the computer on the other side of the Internet that a real living, breathing meatbag believes in the point you’re trying to write about. Human empathy, when not combined with critical thinking, can be a grave weakness to many minds. Why else do people like that McDonald’s “We love to see you smile” or “I’m lovin’ it” bullshit?
However, these take a little more effort to make, and depending on the venue, can take hours, days, weeks, months to complete.
If you want to make a sockpuppet to pose as a realistic person, you need to:
- Pick and use a plausible, realistic name, location and profile picture where applicable.
- Fill out any applicable account information that is relevant to the persona you’re trying to create
- Network (on FB and other applicable sites) by adding friends and posting updates when necessary to make it look like an active account.
Now, you troll. If you’re using the quick n’ dirty basic sockpuppeting strategy, just go right ahead and use that baby. If you’re using your realistic sockpuppet, you need to make a note to yourself what goal you want to accomplish with this account. Do you want to appear as a staunch supporter, but instill doubt and support the validity of any opposing viewpoint? Do you want to undermine a movement or a facebook group by being a strong participant? DO IT. The possibilities are only limited to your ability to bullshit.
WARNING: This article is written with the assumption that your sockpuppets are being used for reasonably innocent purposes. If you’re posting horrible shit or anything that would draw wretched outrage to you, expect an IP ban. Also, if you have a regular account on that site, expect it to be tied to your regular account (like in the case of a forum where users can be administrators and moderators.) For that, we will use Tor and other proxies to circumvent that little issue, which I will cover in a later post.
- make your gay little sockpuppet
- either troll or infiltrate with it using legitimate means (FB groups, etc.)
- gain influence in their world and/or spread the memetic seed